Sunday, January 15, 2006

Making A Difference

Has "Making a Difference" become a cliche? More and more I've seen and heard the phrase used and, yes, abused.

What does it mean to make a difference? Can one quantitatively or qualitatively assess the difference they are making? Is it possible that "making a difference" is merely a marketing catch-phrase intended to make a consumer feel good about a product or service? Could it be that "making a difference" is sometimes used to cover up a poorly executed or even ill-conceived business plan?

Every new year brings the opportunity to assess how much of a difference one has made in the lives of those with whom he works and lives. Even the "best laid plans of mice and men," may result in outcomes that are less than stellar. As I reviewed my own 2005 goals, my performance appraisal for 2005 would likely be judged as "needing improvement" in almost every area.

As such, I have decided to ascertain my priorities anew. I have determined to look at my life according to four areas:

  1. My Values
  2. My Personality
  3. My Skills
  4. My Interests

Because of this reassessment, Difference Makers will be taking a decided turn that will reflect these four themes. My expectation is that I will be able to measure how much of a difference I have made in 2006.

I urge readers to similarly reassess their own values, personality, skills and interests. Perhaps you'll discover something that will enhance your "performance appraisal" as well.

Always make a difference!

No comments: