Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The Sprit of Industry

While I have chosen to limit my involvement in any homebased business for the time, I am a firm believer that the concept, whether a cottage industry or some form of direct sales, is rooted in the moral fabric of our nation. The proverbial butcher, baker and candlestick maker all supported their homes with the spirit of industry and fair trade. What's more, they passed their industrious spirit on to the generations to follow by involving them in their business, or arranging for them to participate in apprenticeships with other "homebased" businesses, like the cooper or the blacksmith, etc.

Sadly our culture has largely become one of entitlements, and the spirit of industry has fallen on hard times. Our society is being "trained" by various forms of electronic media and growing soft and pleasure driven.

Over the past 30 years, I have been involved in a number of businesses that are defined as multilevel or network driven. Each one had the concept of industry at its core. Unfortunately, greed became a driving force in a few and the result has been an inverted Robin Hood effect (i.e., "robbing" from the poor and giving to the rich). As evidence I offer my current debt load that grew largely as the result of a blind adherence to principles that ran counter to my gut.

About a year ago I came across a homebased business that seemed to offer something different in the networking business genre. Since I have committed my life to making a difference, I determined to check it out.

Everything I surmised was indeed true. This business WAS interested in making a difference! The products were priced fairly and of superior quality. The marketing plan offered a number of channels through which a fledgling entrepreneur could launch a business and make money immediately. The leadership understood what the average person, who had aspirations of a better life, needed to succeed.

Along the way I grew a little disillusioned because the tone became both defensive and offensive against other such businesses. In my humble opinion, the hyperbole on both sides served only to alienate, and affirmed the preconceived notions some had about such businesses. Professionalism was lost in the tit for tat, and neither side emerged the winner.

The good news, however, is that it would appear that such demeaning activities have ceased and the company for which I have great respect HAS emerged with a renewed vision and a determined leadership. Such is evidenced in a blog on MLM Today. I invite readers of Difference Makers to check out this blog written by Dave Stone. It is my opinion that this company is determined to make a difference in an industry that offers everyone a true opportunity.

Remember, always make a difference!

No comments: