Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Let's Get Physical!

The first challenge for me is to take my planted posterior out of my favorite recliner. Physical activity, even of moderate-intensity, has been shown to result in health benefits. Research has shown that a cumulative 30 minutes of moderate-intensity activity on most days of the week provides such benefits as improved energy, reduced stress and help in managing chronic health conditions such as heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure.

So, knowing the benefits of physical activity, what prevents me from making the choice to be active? Perhaps it's my willingness to settle for good health.

That's right. Right now I feel fine. I have no pain, no shortness of breath, no apparent heart problems. Sadly, that speaks of an attitude of mediocrity. Someone has been quoted as saying, "When better is possible, good is not enough." Good is often the worst enemy of best, and that's most often true when it comes to our physical well being.

Permit me to once again quote from The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews (pg.70):
"A person who moves neither left or right is destined for mediocrity. When faced with a decision, many people say they are waiting for God. But I understand, in most cases, God is waiting for me! He has given me a healthy mind to gather and sort information and the courage to come to a conclusion. I am not a quivering dog, indecisive and fearful. My constitution is strong and my pathway clear. Successful people make their decisions quickly and change their minds slowly. Failures make their decisions slowly and change their minds quickly. My decisions come quickly, and they lead to victory."

Alright, I've made the decision to become physically active. Now I need to discern what the barriers are that prevent me from actually moving forward. I need to find the right combination of activities (e.g. walking, strength training, jogging) that will fit into my schedule. Then I need to plan the activities and place them within my daily schedule. Lastly, I need to establish an accountability, be it extrinsic or intrinsic.

Stay with me as I surmount the "barriers" to becoming physically active. Hey you . . . stop the office pool regarding the odds of my success! In the words of the fictional Joshua Chamberlain in The Traveler's Gift (pg. 71), "I am courageous. I am a leader. I seize this moment. I choose now. I am a person of action."

Always make a difference!

No comments: