Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Stay the Course!

Last week was a bust as far as my exercise plan. Exercise - 0; Laziness - 7. I guess the road to hell is indeed paved with good intentions.

What now? Should I reconsider? Should I just quit and admit that I'm too old to change my lifestyle? Am I trying to do something that is impractical or unrealistic?

The answer to all of the above is . . . Stay the Course!

Writing a schedule is the first step. I now need to enlist someone who will hold me accountable for my goals. Someone who will, without mercy, hold my feet to the fire.

In a recent interview I was asked, "What are the consequences if one of your employees doesn't meet their daily expectation?" In retrospect, my response should have included:
  • continued accountability (reports, checklists, etc.)
  • enhanced coaching (observations, feedback, etc.)
  • correcting errant performance (verbal disapproval/correction, retraining, etc.)
  • rewarding progress (verbal approval, public recognition, etc.)

Such will be the next step. I will document my schedule on a weekly calendar. Each day I will enlist my accountability partner to check with me to confirm adherence to the schedule. My initial goal is to exercise 30 minutes at least three of the seven days. The ultimate goal is to exercise six out of seven days for at least 30 minutes each day.

I have enrolled in a program through my workplace that includes a health coach. This coach will provide guidance as I progress. His/her feedback will help me stop the self deception and excusitis.

The last thing I will do is to establish and document reward checkpoints.

Stay with me as I'll post these "adjustments" tomorrow. Once again, I invite your participation. One purpose of this series of posts it to create a broad accountability. Thanks in advance for your help!

Always make a difference!

No comments: